Rime the time away

Made by Tequila Works

In the mist of what it is suppose to be spring in Indiana, there nothing but cold and snow (which I still can’t believe! However thankfully it is now getting better). However, I am beating my spring blues with a game called Rime. Set on an island filled with ancient ruins there are plenty of mysterious to discover while waiting for warmer weather. The game is about a boy that awakes shipwrecked on an island after a terrible storm. Guided by a fox spirit the boy must explore the island, overcome the puzzles and discover the secrets of the Enigmatic Tower.

The opening cut scene starts the visual story telling which continues throughout the game. Fully utilizing the ruins setting to create multiple murals to not only feel like the place was once alive, but also to tell the story. Along with the subtle touches of luminescence paint in the murals that making the art style and color palates they use stand out.

Though I really like the visuals in Rime, my favorite part about the game was the music. The orchestra complemented the game play as it allowed beautiful and emotional moments. The puzzles which are mixture of perspective, light and sound puzzles were unique and add to the magical atmosphere. These puzzles are very refreshing because I am use to item puzzles, mazes, and minigames. I am usually able to easily solve these puzzles, however, while playing Rime I found myself “puzzled”. There were some puzzles that were easier than others, but all of them had to make me stop and think. It allowed me to see and appreciate the creativity of the environmental level designs.

Even though I love the visuals in the gameplay, there were multiple times in the game where had frame rate issues. Coupled with the camera, this was a real problem. Most of the time the camera free roams, however, there are some moments where the camera moves to create a cinematic effect. Normally I like cinematic effects, but it was at cost of the frame rate, which brought me out of the grand moments that the game were trying to create.

Despite its flaws, I love this game. It’s a great game to play if you want to hear some wonderfully composed orchestra pieces and solve some puzzles. This game could easily be finished in a day but has many achievements and collectables that can bring you back to be unlocked throughout the levels. I wouldn’t recommend trying to do it in a day either, since the scenery is worth taking your time. Along with again the music, did you know the game was nominated multiple times for best/original soundtrack? It was nominated at the 2018 D.I.C.E, NAVGTR, and Game Audio Network Guild Awards. So, if you are still waiting for winter to end like I am, why not explore the world of Rime today?

Platforms: Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox 1 and Nintendo Switch
Rating: Everyone +10

Comments

Popular Posts